posted June 19th
Over the past few months we’ve done a lot of clothes donations in areas affected by flooding, but recently 2 different people we met told us about a house that had just burned down in the capital, & asked if we could help by donating clothes.
Fires seem to happen very often in Fiji so we tried to find out more. Apparently it was a family with 4 children in a rented house in a good area, but with the father studying overseas for his PhD.
On the day that the fire broke out, the gardener was burning some rubbish at the back of the house, (old stuff that they’d thrown out). However, it was a windy day & the fire quickly got out of control. Firemen came not long after BUT their water tank was empty!?! They went close by to fill it up, but valuable time was lost, & by the time they returned with a full tank, it was too late to save the house or anything in it. The flames even engulfed the landlord’s car that was on the property, & as it had a full tank of petrol, it exploded & caused even more damage, as well as injuring one fireman, who was rushed to hospital! In the meantime, all staff from nearby company Vodafone were evacuated in case the fire should spread any further.
It’s tragic that such a dramatic & damaging fire could easily have been prevented or limited by:
1) Not starting a fire near the house
2) Not burning rubbish on a very windy day
3) Having water on hand to put out the fire
4) Firemen should be prepared at all times with water in their tanks!!
We were happy to pass on 6 bags of clothes to the affected family & spent time talking with all of them. It’s good to know that despite their loss, the 4 children still have high expectations, with 2 of them hoping to become lawyers & the others aiming to become a doctor & a pilot: let’s pray their dreams come true!